Lori Wirkus is Flynn Wirkus Young’s managing partner and an accomplished litigator with more than 16 years of experience who focuses her practice on the representation of corporate defendants, litigating FELA claims, contract disputes, grade crossing and trespasser incidents and indemnity claims. In addition to her counseling work, Lori frequently speaks to peers and clients on legal issues such as defending against cutting-edge plaintiff lawyer tactics, law firm management case preparation, trial practice and FRSA/OSHA Whistleblower law.
Lori also heads up the firm’s Real Estate Department. She has extensive experience in real estate transactions including closings, contract drafting and negotiation, and is an approved title agent for a number of companies.
Prior to joining the firm in 2001, Lori was an associate at the Law Offices of John R. Gulash & Eugene J. Riccio, a civil and criminal litigation firm in Bridgeport, Connecticut, where she was involved in personal injury litigation, wrongful death, wrongful imprisonment, municipal liability and criminal defense.
While attending law school, Lori interned for the Honorable Michael Hartmere and clerked for Gulash, Fleischmann & Riccio, both of Bridgeport, Connecticut. At Fairfield University, Lori was a chairperson of the Fairfield University Student Organization and was the assistant editor of the Journal of Business and Economic Studies.
Lori resides with her husband and two children in Norfolk, Massachusetts.
Activities and Honors
- President, Massachusetts Chapter of Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Member, Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center (BCNC) Leadership Council
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association and its Law Practice Management Committee
- Member, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Division of the Federal Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Chapter
- Member, Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute, Women in the Law Committee
- Member, Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts
- Member, Women in Transportation, Boston Chapter
- ASLRRA General Liability Conference, Program Committee Member
- Attended the “On Trial With Judge Young” MCLE with Judge William G. Young of the U.S. District Court
- Member, Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts – Troop Leader, Brownie Level
- Member, South Shore Women’s Business Network
- Member, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
Speeches and Publications
- “Ammunition or Shackles: Managing Crisis Response to Maximize Your Legal Position“, Co-presenter with Michael B. Flynn, New England Railroad Club Annual Rail Forum & Expo, March 19, 2015, Worcester, MA.
- “FRSA/OSHA Whistleblower Law: Everything You Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask.” ASLRRA General Counsel Symposium and Finance and Administration Seminar, Kansas City, MO, November 29, 2012.
- “Employee Injury with Rules Violation: How to Maintain Proper Rules and Discipline without Fear of OSHA Retaliation Claims,” 19th Annual Liability Conference, ASLRRA, Las Vegas, NV, July 13, 2012.
- “Persuading by Entertaining: Leveraging Technology to Deliver Winning Results.” Co-presenter with Michael B. Flynn, Southeastern Claims Conference, Charlotte,NC, June 27, 2012.
- “Confronting Cutting Edge FELA Plaintiff Lawyer Tactics: The Impact of Plaintiff’s Voluntarily Dismissing Garden Variety Negligence Theories in Order to Proceed on Strict Liability in LIA or SAA claims.” NARTC Winter Meeting, Miami, FL, March 7, 2011.
- “Dissecting a Legal Claim,” co-presenter, ASLRRA, 18th Annual Railroad Liability Conference, Milwaukee, WI, June 9, 2011.