John Young, who joined the firm in 2002 and was named a partner in January, 2012, focuses on the representation of railroads in the defense of FELA claims, grade crossing litigation, trespasser accidents, toxic tort and insurance and business litigation. He has been practicing law for more than 10 years. His practice frequently takes him to courts around the country, gaining national recognition for the firm.
Along with his partner, Michael Flynn, John has tried two railroad-related cases in the last year (one in Massachusetts and one in New York) and received defense verdicts in both cases, each involving multi-million dollar demands.
John was previously an associate with the Boston law firm of Murphy & Riley, P.C., where his practice focused on the defense and handling of liability claims including professional malpractice, premises liability, automobile and land transport and employment litigation. In each of these areas, John represented a wide variety of professionals, municipalities, property owners, insurers and for-profit and non-profit corporations, both insured and self-insured.
During his tenure at Suffolk University, John worked for the National Association of Security Dealers (the enforcement arm of NASDAQ) in Boston, Massachusetts, where he investigated alleged violations of federal and state securities law by local brokers and investment mangers. While at the University of Rhode Island, John served as a law clerk for the Honorable Michael Higgins of the Rhode Island District Court.
John currently resides in Norwell, Massachusetts with his wife and two daughters.
Activities and Honors
- Member, The National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel (NARTC) and its Young Lawyers and Diversity Committees
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Division of the Federal Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Chapter
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- Member, South Shore Chamber of Commerce
- Member, ProVisors – Executive Committee